Introverts get their energy internally, they are not always energized by large social gatherings. They prefer lower stimulus environments. Introverts often restore and recharge by quiet, reflective time. Millions of people are being asked to find ways to live a more introverted life: shelter in place, social distance, and spend time in lower stimulus environments. We can fight an epidemic of loneliness by asking the Introverts of the world to show us the way
Susan Cain writes and speaks about the power of introverts. We can call on those powers to help guide us towards strength and resiliency. We all need tools to navigate these uncharted waters. Introverts have tools to help us navigate these times.
Susan Cain’s articulation of the difference between introvert and extrovert is helpful. “It’s how you respond to stimulation, including social stimulation. So introverts prefer lower-stimulation environments, that’s where they feel at their most alive. Whereas extroverts really crave stimulation in order to feel at their best. It’s important to see it this way because people often equate introversion with being antisocial, and it’s not that at all – it’s just a preference.”
During the Coronavirus people are reaching out to each other by phone. Connecting with old and new friends. Perhaps, you could consider your introvert/extrovert preference and make a few phone calls. For example, if you are an extrovert, who is an introvert you could call on for guidance? Or, if you are an introvert, who is an extroverted friend you could call on to provide some support.
Below are some questions you might like to consider:
For Extroverts calling Introverts:
- What are some activities you do to recharge by yourself?
- What social media platforms energize you the most?
- How do you approach social distancing so it does not feel isolating?
For Introverts asking questions to Extroverts:
- What strategies are helping you to cope with the quiet in your life? I have been trying these 1-2 things to help me……
- What’s the hardest part of social distancing? Do you want to brainstorm some ways to manage this challenging time?
- What types of activities are you finding most draining? Here are some things I’m doing to energize myself during this time…..
Introverts your super powers right now are your ability to spend time alone, be in low stimulus environments, and energize in quiet. I invite you to share your wisdom, talents and strengths. We need you to help show the way.
ps. As an Introvert, one of my favorite centering activities is to create sand art on the beach. I hope this image calms, centers and grounds you.